1891 Census returns
That part of the county of Kent comprising parts of the villages of Wrotham, Borough Green, Ightham and Platt, now known as the civil parish of Borough Green.
few births are shown as being in Borough Green itself, though the Bennetts in Chapel Lane, seemed to recognise it as a place. For registration of births and deaths, Wrotham was the main district.
District of Malling
Enumeration District 5
Description of Boundaries and Contents of Enumeration District
Being that part bounded on the north by Wrotham Hill Park on the East by ? Road to Nepicar on the south by the road leading to Basted and Ightham and on the west the LC &+ DR Railway and brickyard.
Contents comprising that part of Wrotham including Green Hill House the east side of the street to the Bull Inn The Bull Yard past farm Nepicar to the bridge ___ of Wrotham Water ___ the south side of Wrotham Town St Marys Lane Long Pond old potery brickyard Boro Green (that part of it situated in the parish of Wrotham) including Infant school and cottages adjacent Spencers cottages Western Road SunnysideWest Bank House and LodgeThe railway Station ___ Farm and the plain cottages The whole in the parliamentary division of Mid Kent.
Wrotham (Part of)
Urban sanitary District of Wrotham
Ecclesiastical parish of St. Mary’s Platt ( ___)
Boundary Being that part bounded on the north by L.C. And D Railway on the east by the Offham Road on the south by the road leading to Winfield Mill on the west by Thong Lane and Boro green.
Contents Comprising that part of Wrothamfrom the east side of the bridgeat Nepicar to the Old Turnpike House, Wrotham Heath and Common.Platt, Great Comp Buchan Wood ___ The Naps, Hurst Wood Cottages___ to the cottages off site the star and garter: Clay gate Cross the north side of the wall to basted Bridge the east side of the stream to the cottages at the bottom of the wood, Basted House, New Barn, Black Horse and both sides of the road to Royal Oak and ___.
(The whole in the parliamentary division of Mid Kent.)
Ecclesiastical Parish of Wrotham shows 238 on the schedule indicating the number of dwellings surveyed.
The enumerators were:
Jesse Callow, Postmaster at BG
Frank Perkins, Platt school headmaster
Sarah Sanders, wife of the registrar of Births and Deaths for the district.
The lists were photocopied from microfilm, written in long hand to decipher names and addresses and then typed. It took a full week.
All three enumerators spelled laborer without a “u”.
Only 3 of the wives were employed outside the home.
In the 1841 census only one family was born outside the district and he was an itinerant fishmonger.