These press clippings largely from 1955 give a clear idea of how volunteer labour was welcomed and directed to create the pavilion, in the full knowledge of its dual purpose as a war memorial. Dates are to be found on some images or on the file name.
NB To see the images in a larger size open them in a new tab or window.
Where the funds started – 1945 a minute from the Parish Council suggests the recreation ground and facilities be set as a war memorial.
This is followed in 1946 by a public meeting which approves use of funds raised to this end. The recreation ground is improved gradually with tennis courts, a children’s play area, hard standing for cars, iron gates, a drinking fountain, the pavilion, a bowls green and a walkway through the land. Further hard areas allow for all weather sports in dedicated areas.